A collection of colors and flavors
Recipe from “Saveurs de Polynésie”
Shrimp and mango toast
Ingredients: 400 g shrimp, 1 mango, 1 small bunch green onions, 10 slices of cheese (Chesdale), 250 g cherry tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 loaf sliced wholewheat bread, 1 shallot, 100 g nonfat mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1 pinch Cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
1. Shell the shrimp and set a few aside. Dice the rest.
2. Peel and finely chop the shallot.
3. In a frying pan, sauté the shallot and shrimp in a little olive oil, add salt, pepper and Cayenne.
4. Toast the bread.
5. Peel the mango and cut the flesh along the core, cut into fine strips and sponge off in kitchen paper.
6. Mix the mayonnaise and the cooled-off shrimp and curry powder.
7. Spread the mix on the toast, place the mango strips then the Chesdale slices.
8. Remove the crust and cut each bread slice in four.
9. Add a shrimp cut in half, half a tomato and secure with a toothpick decorated with a length of green onion.
Exotic smoked fish canapé
Ingredients: 8 to 10 smoked fish fillets: tuna, swordfish, wahoo or king mackerel… 1 avocado, 1 bunch green onions, 2 limes, 150 g butter, 1 loaf sliced wholewheat bread, pepper, dill.
Rinse the green onions and chop them very fine.
Mix the butter and the green onions, the juice of a lime and pepper.
Peel the avocado, cut in half, remove the stone and cut the pulp in thin slices, then cover in lemon juice.
Butter the lightly toasted bread slices.
Cut out the rim and cut each slice in half.
Decorate with a sprig of dill and serve cold.
Banana and bacon cocktail snacks
Ingredients: 6 fei bananas, 6 rio or maohi bananas, 18 prunes, 250 g bacon slices, oil, salt and pepper.
Steam the fei and rio bananas for 15 minutes in their skin.
Check them with the point of a knife.
Peel, then slice them.
Wrap a banana slice and a prune in a bacon strip, fasten with a toothpick.
Cook 5 minutes in hot oven.
More about Tahitian food here.